Why Lancaster, Pennsylvania?
Lancaster has an eye on the future with an energetic resurgence of the downtown area. Located in beautiful south-central Pennsylvania amidst Amish farm country and only minutes away from Harrisburg, York & Reading. The oldest inland city in the United States, just to the east of the mighty Susquehanna River, Lancaster was originally settled in 1718.
- Rich cultural and historical heritage
- Vibrant art community
- Great restaurants & small businesses
- New convention center
Studies have been done that show that when you buy from an independent, locally-owned business (rather than nationally owned) significantly more of your money is used to make purchases from other local business, service providers and farmers - creating sustainable communities.
Some Local Attractions:
- Central Market - fresh local goods sold in an historic downtown atmosphere
- Lancaster Barnstormers - Atlantic League professional baseball
- Eastern Market - local fresh produce, ethnic foods, music, special events
- North Museum of Natural History & Science - exhibits, special events, lecture programs, field trips and 3rd largest planetarium in PA
- Fulton Opera House - National Historic Landmark, providing theater since 1852
- Rockford Plantation - elegant 1794 mansion of Gen. Edward Hand, the Adjutant General of the Continental Army
- James Buchanan's Wheatland - tour the Federal mansion of America's 15th president
- Demuth Museum - Charles Demuth's restores artists' studio, gardens & 18th century home & art gallery - oldest U.S. tobacco shop
- Lancaster Museum of Art - local, national & international artists' visual arts exhibits
- Lancaster County Historical Society - exhibits of fine art, crafts, artifacts & documents, library - archives available for geneological research
- Lancaster Cultural History Museum - regional 18th and 19th century furnitues, quilts, silver & fraktur
- Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church - a station of the Underground Railroad, presents living historical productions
- Pennsylvania College of Art & Design - offers BFA in fine art, Illustration & graphic design, plus certificate, credit and non-credit courses